A repository of articles and resources I’ve collected over the years
(Long page, so keep scrolling)
The Craft of Writing
Templates, References, Guides
Writing With Color
There are colors beyond the rainbow. Here are some sites providing terminology, visual references, and usage.
|Color Thesaurus: Ingrid Sundberg hosts a series of cards filled with a variety of each color (white, beige, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, green, brown, grey and black). A wonderful resource.|
|Complete list of Crayola Crayon colors.|
The Phrontistery’s list of “obscure colour terms.”
Writing About the Color of People (and other aspects of humanity)
Selecting words to describe characters, especially as a white author, is a must. Hopefully these will help you grow.
- $6 ebook: Writing the Other: A Practical Approach
Two excellent articles by Mod Colette to get you started:
- Writing with Color: Description Guide – Skin Color pt 1: POC and Food Descriptions
- Writing with Color: Description Guide – Skin Color pt 2: Words for Skin Tone
Parallel to this topic:
Articles with visual references of human coloration:
- Skin Undertone and Colour Matching
- Eye color
- Red Hair Color Shades
Other aspects of our humanity:
- Model Management: Too many authors use famous actors to give flesh to their characters. This is a great site for finding people from around the world.
Research for Different Stories
History and Interesting Fact(oid)s
Info for Sci Fi Writers
Social Headache Remedies
This is a living page. If you have any recommendations for additional or better resources, I would appreciate if you share them with me through the contact form below.